Thursday, January 23, 2014

What to Take To Christmas Dinner with Boyfriends Family- Homemade Salted Caramel Chocolate Biscotti


Recently I was faced with the dillema of what (if anything) am I expected to bring to Christmas Dinner with my Boyfriends immediate and extended family. Now his immediate family I see often and I was reassured by them that I was not expected to contribute or buy any gifts for the large family that would all be there on the day. That I was simply to show up and enjoy the festivities, but this didn't entirely sit well with me! I'm a person who always brings wine or snacks when going to a friends dinner, if having a get together I insist providing the entire meal for people to just show up, and I always try to give or send thank you cards for kind gestures! So after a quick chat with my Mum, she suggested making some home-made cookies, shortbread, truffles, or even a pie or cake etc. Hmmm! After a quick look through my recipe books, clicking through some of my favourite food blogs; and taking into consideration that what ever I decided to make as a gift would need to be made a few days ahead and survive the drive from Sydney to Melbourne (did I not mention my Boyfriends family are interstate?!) 
Finally I found a recipe for something a little bit different, a little bit yummy, and a little bit...amazing...
Salted Caramel Chocolate Biscotti 



Makes 24



What You Need:



3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup self raising flour
3/4 cup plain white flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup chocolate chips
15 caramel candies/chews (I used eclairs), unwrapped and chopped small
ground sea salt for sprinkling



What To Do:



Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside. 
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together sugar, vanilla and eggs until white and creamy. 
In a separate bowl whisk together flours, baking soda and salt. 
With the mixer on low, slowing add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. 
Fold in caramels and 1/3 cup of chocolate chips. 
Divide dough in half and form into two 12 inch logs on prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly so logs are about 3/4 inch high. 
Bake for 35 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 10 min. 
With a sharp knife, slice each log into 24 cookies. Lay biscotti down on the cut sides. Bake again for 10 minutes. Flip the biscotti over and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until biscotti are nicely dried.
Allow to cool completely on wire racks. 
In a microwave safe bowl, place remaining chocolate chips. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, stir and microwave again for 15 seconds. Repeat, microwaving for 15 second intervals until chocolate is completely melted. 
Use a fork or spoon to dip in the melted chocolate and drizzle over biscotti. Sprinkle with sea salt. Allow chocolate to set.



The Biscotti can be stored/gifted in an airtight container or glass jar at room temp for up to 7 days. Maybe add some ribbon or twine to the jar and a bottle of Moët, Verve or another nice Champagne (for the host) and sit back and enjoy that special Christmas Day. 

Enjoy!