Monday, May 07, 2012

(Healthyish) Pumpkin Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins

So after taking one of my girlfriends for a quick shop at a health food store to pick up my weekly supply of quinoa, coconut oil and juice. I was quite surprised when she was able to find some delicious dried bananas that seemed to silence her skepticism of a shop she would usually walk straight by! I decided that I would combine my new slightly healthy lifestyle with making something that would also satisfy her sweet tooth!

(Healthyish) Pumpkin Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins


What you need:

3 cups whole wheat flour (I usually use almond meal, but didn't have enough for a double batch of muffins)
1 cup honey
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup fresh pureed pumpkin
1 cup rice milk (or soy, almond, skim, full cream)
1/2 cup coconut oil (or olive/vegetable oil or melted butter)
2 organic eggs
2 cups organic chocolate chips (I used a block of organic dark chocolate and chopped it up)
1 Tbsp raw sugar (to sprinkle on top)

What to do:

In a bowl, combine the pumpkin, milk, eggs, oil, and honey. Add the dry ingredients (including chocolate) and mix until just barely combined. Divide mixture between approx. 24 patty papers in muffin tray. Sprinkle raw sugar on the top of each muffin.

Bake at 150 degrees celsius in a fan forced oven for about 20-25 minutes.

The above recipe is a double batch, which made 23 muffins.

Note: I will leave a comment on this post about what she and all the boys in the office thought of this delicious healthier alternative to a usually bad food choice...the muffin. The recipe even has slight thanksgiving twist, which is perfect for the winter chill in Sydney right now and this baking night has my apartment smelling of pumpkin and spices.