Saturday, March 01, 2014

Healthy Way to a Spend a Rainy Saturday...Making Homemade GranolaandRaw Energy Balls

Let's just face it friends. Every so often you've just gotta make something healthy. Or semi-healthy. Or just plain sugary like salted caramel and berry pavlova for example.

But today we are going with the healthy option...

Granola is one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast after a morning workout. A yummy, healthy, and filling treat, with some yogurt and berries or bananas on top?

It's been on my list of things to make (along with an iPad full of other things) for a long time! So when I saw this recipe on Pinterest I decided to give it a shot, adjusting it just a little.

I just love how adaptable granola is! You can use a variety of nuts, dried fruit, and spices. I'm already thinking of different combinations for next time. I made mine with a little bit of chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and coconut.

You can eat the granola for breakfast (or lunch/dinner/dessert)  with some yogurt, fruit, on top of cereal, or… Just eat it the good 'ol fashioned way- with milk.

Homemade Granola



What You Need:

4 cups rolled oats 
1/2 cup nuts, roughly chopped (I used pumpkin and sunflower seeds)
1/2 cup of shredded coconut
2 tablespoon chia seeds
2 tablespoon olive oil 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

What To Do:

Mix it all together. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 1 hour at 150ยบ C, stirring every 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container.

Makes: 2 Trays

Now I'm not sure if some of you suffer from the same 3pm crash as I do, but it's never a good thing when 3 hours after having a healthy lunch, you feel the need to be search through your desk drawer for an reminents of a sugary snack or loose change to go raid the vending machine! Now lucky for me, I have more will power than that, but I do find myself struggling to get the energy sometimes after a long days work to slip into my gym clothes and head for a workout, especially without having anything to eat or drink as a pick me up. Im sure you think it's a simple solution, you probably thinking in your head "Girl, just buy yourself some fruit or a musli bar?!" Well I've decided to do one better! Make myself some Raw Energy Balls!  Trust me after one delicious bite, you'll realise (as I did) that they were basically a healthy version of my favorite no bake cookies! And they’re perfect for breakfast, snacks, or even — dessert!

Homemade Raw Energy Balls


What You Need:

1 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup shredded coconut 
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup chocolate chips or cacao nibs
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon chia seeds 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

What To Do:

Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.

Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. (Mine were about 1" in diameter.) Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

Makes: 12 balls 

Enjoy!

XXX