Monday, November 26, 2012

My Slightly Dark Brown Pumpkin Pie...

Im not American, nor do I live in America, but I have always loved (My) America. So as Thanksgiving weekend came around in Sydney, I decided to reconnect with my holiday spirit by making pumpkin pie for my friends housewarming party. I love baking, but have been preoccupied of late with my social life, so the holiday was a perfect time to get back in the kitchen.

Armed with my well tried and tested recipe, a quiet Friday night in and all the ingredients for this deliciousness. It was bound to be a successful night of baking. Except for one small problem...when it came time to bake the pies, I kind of got a little distracted and let the crusts turn a nice shade of dark brown...aka burnt pastry! Reminder to self, make sure your ALONE on your Friday night in, to avoid such (fun times) mishaps!

I got told from my kind, humoured, (possibly lying), taste testers, the pies were still as delicious as ever...I guess I just learnt that sometimes baking is more important than other equally fun things to do on a Friday night...especially when the ovens on!

Here's the recipe I used (I doubled the mixture to make 2 pies)...

Old American Pumpkin Pie



What you need:

1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree, canned or fresh
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
1 teaspoon plain flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 unbaked pastry shell (9-inch)
Whipped cream

What to do:

Combine pumpkin, sugar, salt, spices, and flour in a medium mixing bowl.
Add eggs; mix well. Add evaporated milk, water, and vanilla; mix well.
Pour into pastry-lined pie pan. Bake at 180° for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 150° and bake about 35 minutes longer, or until center is set.
Serve this delicious pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar!

Below is the next recipe I'm dying to try when I have another Friday night in (alone) or when I am having one of my girls over who is gluten free. It seems so simple, yet completely inline with my vision to begin to eat more gluten or dairy free!

Gluten Free Blender Pumpkin Pie


What you need:

3/4 cup plain unsweetened organic canned pumpkin
1 cup plain organic hemp milk or organic soy milk
2 tsp alcohol free pure vanilla extract
1/8 cup cold pressed grapeseed oil
2 organic eggs
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
1 teaspoon pie spice

What to do:

Preheat and oven to 180 C.
Throw everything in the blender until smooth and creamy.
Pour into a greased 8 inch pie dish and bake for about an hour and a half or until set.
Leave the pie to cool completely and it will solidify.
Serve with vegan cream or vegan ice cream.

Yum! Enjoy!